Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Counting Your Blessings

As a busy leader of a large organization it can be too easy to get caught in the rat race and take things very personal and overdue your comittment to the organization and product.

A true empowered leader keeps strong balance and perspective between their role as a leader of an organization and their role in their family and among their friends.

These days, I find myself amidst a career transition which came about a bit suddenly, yet somewhat eerily timely as my parents are both in failing health and my spouse is busy taping out a complex design and needs to work increasing hours. What a blessing it is to have an opportunity focusing on helping them in their time of need.

In the past week, I also received awful news that my friend and colleague passed away from complications of brain tumor surgery. Last year we lost another friend to complications of surgery. These events truly bring home that most of us are showered with blessings every day, our health and our families health.

When faced with challenges and issues we chose how to respond and react. For me, in this transition I have focussed on counting my blessings which are many. Each time a negative thought enters my mind I focused on the blessings I do have, which are many.

Often with my daughter, when she faces a new challenge and is frustrated I share with her that she has it better than many others. Recently she sent me a chain letter email which was full of pictures of challenged inviduals living in poverty and facing their lives stoicly. So it helps to always understand and reenforce in your own thoughts that if you have health and family you have a lot already.

So before you lapse into despair about the stock market losses or a job transition, first "Count Your Blessings".

No comments: